Jammin' for Justice 2010!
Thank You to our Jammin' Sponsors!
Celebrating environmental justice!
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
6:00 to 9:00 p.m.
Hibernian Hall | Roxbury Center for the Arts
184 Dudley Street | Roxbury | MA | 02119
food | live performances | DJ | silent auction
Admission is free!
We'll be encouraging donations of all sizes at the event. Childcare available on-site.
Join hundreds of your fellow ACE supporters to celebrate environmental justice, raise funds and present awards to great people and organizations!
Please RSVP by Friday, May 21 and include childcare needs.
To RSVP / for more info, email Marina or call (617) 442-3343 x235.
Organizations and businesses are encouraged to show their support by sponsoring the event. For more info, email Holly or call (617) 442-3343 x231.
For more information, see:
- Environmental Justice Awards
- Jammin' 2010 Host Committee
- Event schedule
- Our Dinner Menu, To be announced
- Musicians Anita Quinto and Daniel Day
- Music by DJ Cee Scott
- Silent auction items
Every year we honor deserving people and organizations for their work to further environmental justice in our region. More information about each awardee will be posted soon. This year's recipients are:
- Judy Babikan, ACE Member
- The Boston Grants Initiative of the New England Grassroots Environment Fund
- Dorchester Bay Youth Force
James Aloisi, Jr.
Neenah & Marcos Estrella-Luna
Gary & Brita Gill-Austern
T.J. & Rachel Hellmann
Penn Loh & Jacquelyn Cefola
Charles & Blyth Lord
Colin Van Dyke
6:00 - Appetizers, open bar, beer and wine
6:45 - Dance performances
7:00 - Program and awards
7:30 - Dinner
8:30 - Auction closes
8:45 - Auction payment and pickup begins
9:00 - See you next year! (Hopefully sooner!)
Food provided by Ethnica
Acaraje - Cod Fish and Black-eyed Pea Fritters [Brazilian]
Jerk Chicken Wings [Jamaican]
Spanokopita - Spinach & Feta Cheese Triangles [Greek]
Assorted Mini Quiches
Tossed Garden Salad
Caribbean Chicken, Rum/Raisin Sauce
Lentil Loaf w/Sauce Creole
Herb-Roasted Vegetable Medley
Rice & Red Beans
and delicious desserts
Daniel Day - Electric Bass
Born in Paramaribo, Suriname (South America), Daniel Day studied at Berklee College of Music and Suriname Music School. He has performanced with Bob Moses & Mozamba, Metro Steel Orchestra, Sun Steel Calypso, Culture Jam, Cosmos Factor, Orchestra La Original, Dr. Drey, Philip Van Endero, Oleta Adams, Dennis Chambers, John Robinson.
Daniel has recorded with Emmy award winning composer, Camara Kambon, toured the U.S. and recorded with Pascal Bokar. He is an active New England freelancer in Latin, Calypso, Jazz and R&B styles.
Anita Quinto - Percussion
Venezuelan percussionist, composer and arranger Anita Quinto started her classical musical studies at the Conservatorio Nacional Juan Jose Landaeta in the city of Caracas, where at the same time she began her formal studies on Afro-Cuban percussion under the guidance of Maestro Oscar Faride Mijares. Anita is the first recipient of the Tito Puente Percussion Achievement Award in April of 1999, awarded by Berklee College of Music where she has graduated receiving a Bachelors in Music Performance Degree in May of 2002.
Anita has performed with internationally acclaimed artists such as Eddie Palmieri, Jose Luis Quintana "Changuito", John Santos, Kenwood Dennard, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Eguie Castrillo, Irakere, Angel "Anga" Diaz, Aquilez Baez, Victor Mendoza, John Benitez, Oscar Stagnaro among others. She has extensively worked with numerous bands from the Boston area such as: Brass Roots, The World Leaders, Ron Reid and Sunsteel, Wildest Dreams, Lourdes Pita, The New England Sinfonietta, Mambo Combo and Manguito.
Items arriving daily! Check back for more listings. Last update: May 23, 2010
Entertainment and activities
- Movie passes to Coolidge Corner Theatre
- Lunch with former Secretary of Transportation Jim Aloisi
- VIP tickets to The Daily Show with Jon Stewart
- Karaoke party at Limelight
- Lunch with former ACE director Penn Loh
- Membership to Club Passim
- Red Pin party at Lucky Strike Lanes
- $100 gift certificate for ACT Roxbury
- Two tickets to "The Femme Show"
Food and beverage
- Samuel Adams Beer Bucket of Cheer
- Home-cooked eggplant parmesan
- PepperPot dinner certificate
- Flour Bakery gift certificate ($25)
- Haley House gift certificate and cookbook
- Boston Pita Pit Party Platter
- Upstairs on the Square gift certificate ($100)
- City Feed and Supply gift certificate ($25)
- Dinner for four delivered by Ethnica Catering
- Ashmont Grill gift certificate ($25)
- "Brewed For Thought" Homemade Beer and Home Brewing Experience
- Sampling of three wines served at the White House
Handmade arts and crafts, clothing
- Hand-knit baby blanket
- Hand-knit baby set
- Jewelry set
- Necklace and Painting
- Woodcut print
- Hat and scarf
- Beaded jewelry
- Matching tote bag, laptop sleeve, and iPod holder
- Hemp clothing from Boston Gardener
- ACE cheer basket
Sports and signed items
- Signed Red Sox baseball
- Red Sox tickets
- Signed REM poster
- Limited copy of Anomia card game, signed by the creator
Health and Beauty
- Sunny Spa gift basket
- Acupuncture treatment
- Bertha's Hair Salon gift certificate ($25)
- Deep touch massage
- One month of health coaching
- Healthworks membership and gift bag
Professional and household services
- "Art of Schmooze" networking workshop
- Career coaching workshop
- Computer consultation or tutorial
- Dog-walking gift certificate
- Sewing lessons
- Healthy Homes Cleaning gift certificate ($100)
- Spector Photography portrait sitting
- Button-making party
Outdoors, recreation and fitness
- New England Aquarium passes
- MassBike membership
- Appalachian Mountain Club membership
- Franklin Park tour, t-shirt, and history book
- New England Aquarium family membership
- Sightseeing airplane ride
- Weekend vacation in an eco-friendly Vermont home
- Week-long resort vacation in New Hampshire
Hibernian Hall is accessible by bus routes that serve Dudley Station,including the Silver Line bus and routes 1, 8, 15, 23, 28, 41, 42, 44, 45, 47 and 66. From Dudley Station, walk a block and a half east on Dudley Street. The closest subway stop is Roxbury Crossing (orange line), 0.7 miles away. Several bus routes go from Roxbury Crossing to Dudley Station.
See the MBTA's Trip Planner for more transit information.
From the South:
On Route 93 North, take Exit 18 (Mass Ave/Roxbury) and proceed though two sets of lights. At the third light, take a left onto the Mass Ave Connector/Melnea Cass. Continue for approximately 0.5 miles and turn left onto Harrison Avenue. After three blocks, take a left onto Dudley Street. Hibernian Hall is the second building from the corner on your left hand side.
From the North:
On Route 93 South, take Exit 18 (Mass Ave/Andrew Square) and keep right at the fork to continue onto Melnea Cass Boulevard. Go through one set of lights. At the second light make a left onto Hampden Street. Continue for about 0.4 miles, then make a right onto Dudley Street. Hibernian Hall will be three blocks down on your right.
If you are driving, we recommend that you plan to arrive as early as possible to allow ample time for parking. There is a small parking lot behind Hibernian Hall and street parking available throughout Dudley Square. There is also a large public parking lot across from ACE’s office, between Washington Street and Harrison Avenue.
Thank You to our Jammin' Sponsors!