UPDATED: August 2015
Thank you for your interest in Alternatives for Community & Environment. We currently have two job openings and will post others as they arise.
Development Director Position Available
Alternatives for Community and Environment (ACE) seeks to hire a dynamic, creative, and highly organized professional to manage the organization’s fundraising efforts, major donor strategies, communications efforts, and serve as an enthusiastic ambassador of ACE’s mission.
ACE is a community based nonprofit organization whose mission is to build the power of communities of color and low-income communities in Massachusetts to eradicate environmental racism and classism, create healthy, sustainable communities, and achieve environmental justice.
The goal of our development program is to promote understanding and support of ACE’s mission and goals by advancing a fundraising, development, communication, and marketing strategy that will be carried out by board, staff, and members in order to develop a stronger base of support for ACE.
The Development Director is a key senior management position that reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for developing, leading, managing and promoting all aspects of ACE's fundraising efforts. Fund development efforts include membership, annual giving, major gifts, special projects, events, planned giving, corporate, government and foundation grants. The Development Director supervises and partners with the Development Manager and the Membership and Communications Director.
1. Strong commitment to ACE’s mission.
2. Four or more years of leadership experience in non-profit fundraising development, including planning, leading, and managing fundraising programs and campaigns; coordinating with others to achieve desired outcomes; and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors.
3. Proven track record cultivating donor prospects, securing $1,000+ gifts, and stewarding donor relationships.
4. Supervisory experience supporting direct reports and working collaboratively with staff to develop strategies that deliver on organizational mission.
5. Skilled in creating powerful and compelling written and oral communications for fundraising and able to oversee fundraising communication strategies.
6. Skilled at public relations messaging to build organizational awareness and support.
7. Excellent networking and people skills to actively engage donors, funders, members, media, government agencies and the public to further ACE’s fundraising goals.
8. Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and knowledge of donor database management.
9. Must be able to exercise sound judgment and confidentiality.
10. Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks.
11. Experience with Constant Contact, Drupal, and design software such as InDesign or Quark is preferred.
- Design and develop fundraising program for ACE: Create and execute ACE’s annual fundraising plan and lead long-term, multi-year planning efforts. Collaborate closely with the Executive Director and the Development Committee of the Board to prepare and implement a multi-year development plan with annual objectives and regular reports. Implement workable, practical, and sustainable systems that enhance productivity in work.
- Establish a robust major gifts program: Create and execute a strategy to cultivate a large sustained base of individual donors, including management plan for cultivation, solicitation, appreciation, and stewardship of gifts.
- Manage and train: Train and mentor staff and communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout ACE. Work with Executive Director to craft and present annual fundraising goals, projections, and results to the Board of Directors, as well as train Board members to comfortably ask for funds to support ACE’s mission. Staff and provide support to the Executive Director and Board in fundraising and attend fundraising and donor cultivation events as necessary.
- Marketing and communications: In partnership with the communication staff oversee the development and implementation a comprehensive communications plan to reach key stakeholders and target populations. Work to develop the brand, promote the name recognition, purpose and impacts of ACE to constituencies throughout the region to increase public profile, funding, and membership.
- Administration: Supervise and provide support to Membership and Communications Director and Development Manager. Develop and monitor annual fundraising budget. Coordinate and facilitate Development/Communications team meetings and planning. Track and analyze results of individual fundraising efforts.
Women and people of color encouraged to apply.
Salary & Benefits: Salary is $50,000-55,000. ACE offers generous health, vacation and retirement benefits.
How to apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis and incomplete applications will not be considered.
View PDF of job description.
Alternatives for Community & Environment (ACE) seeks a part-time contract organizer to build on the success of the T Riders Union (TRU) program at ACE. TRU has been a voice for transit dependent and bus riders in the Boston area and will continue the fight for transit affordability, reliability, and accessibility. The organizer will work 15-20 hours a week with members,interns, volunteers and ACE staff to organize ACE members and MBTA bus riders with a campaign focus on the issue of public transit at the state level. Current issues include affordable and equitable MBTA fares and state investment in public transit.
Based in Roxbury, ACE is a non-profit environmental justice organization that builds the power of communities of color and low-income communities in Massachusetts to eradicate environmental racism and classism, create healthy, sustainable communities, and achieve environmental justice. ACE organizes residents to build community and create policy, provides legal/technical support to community groups, develops youth leadership, and coordinates campaigns on critical environmental justice issues. For more visit www.ace-ej.org and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Responsibilities include: policy research and advocacy, grassroots lobbying, support campaign planning and action design and execution, representation of ACE/TRU in coalitions, coordination of work with allies, community outreach, media communications, support member leadership development and volunteer coordination.
- 5+ years campaign organizing and policy advocacy with people from low-income communities and communities of color
- Track record of developing and executing effective actions and events
- Experience training community organizers and advocates
- Good listening and communication skills with a variety of audiences
- direct outreach to community residents ability to collaborate with young people and support youth led organizing
- experience working in coalition and partnership with other organizations
- media outreach
- legislators and public officials
- ability to work in a team with members, interns and staff
- effective group/meeting facilitation and presentation
- experience giving and receiving feedback
- Strong commitment to social and environmental justice
- Experience working in grassroots community organizations
- Well-organized and experience keeping a work plan
- Solid computer skills (familiar with Word, Excel, Internet, and databases)
- Self-starter, quick learner, and ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to work weeknights and weekends
- Spanish fluency preferred, but not required
Salary and Benefits: $20-30/hour depending on experience for up to one year plus an MBTA bus pass.
Please send resume with cover letter to: email@example.com
ACE Hiring Team, 2201 Washington Street, Suite 302, Rear Entrance, Roxbury, MA 02119 c/o Lee Matsueda
NOTE: position open until filled
Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
View PDF of job description.
Frequently asked questions
Q: I've checked your website and I wanted to ask if you have any job openings?
A: We currently have two job openings and will update this page as more arise.
Q: Can I send you my resume and a cover letter so you can have it on file when jobs are available?
A: Yes, you may send us your information, but you will need to reapply for specific jobs when they become available.
Q: Are there other opportunities to become involved or do work with ACE?
Q: How can I find out when jobs are available besides continuing to refresh this page?
A: Please sign up for our email list. We send updates on our campaigns and events every month, along with available volunteer opportunities and job openings when they arise.
Q: I have more questions.
A: Please contact us if you have more questions.