UPDATED: June 2015
Thank you for your interest in Alternatives for Community & Environment. We currently have one job opening and will post others as they arise.
Alternatives for Community & Environment (ACE) seeks a part-time contract organizer to build on the success of the T Riders Union (TRU) program at ACE. TRU has been a voice for transit dependent and bus riders in the Boston area and will continue the fight for transit affordability, reliability, and accessibility. The organizer will work 15-20 hours a week with members,interns, volunteers and ACE staff to organize ACE members and MBTA bus riders with a campaign focus on the issue of public transit at the state level. Current issues include affordable and equitable MBTA fares and state investment in public transit.
Based in Roxbury, ACE is a non-profit environmental justice organization that builds the power of communities of color and low-income communities in Massachusetts to eradicate environmental racism and classism, create healthy, sustainable communities, and achieve environmental justice. ACE organizes residents to build community and create policy, provides legal/technical support to community groups, develops youth leadership, and coordinates campaigns on critical environmental justice issues. For more visit www.ace-ej.org and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Responsibilities include: policy research and advocacy, grassroots lobbying, support campaign planning and action design and execution, representation of ACE/TRU in coalitions, coordination of work with allies, community outreach, media communications, support member leadership development and volunteer coordination.
- 5+ years campaign organizing and policy advocacy with people from low-income communities and communities of color
- Track record of developing and executing effective actions and events
- Experience training community organizers and advocates
- Good listening and communication skills with a variety of audiences
- direct outreach to community residents ability to collaborate with young people and support youth led organizing
- experience working in coalition and partnership with other organizations
- media outreach
- legislators and public officials
- ability to work in a team with members, interns and staff
- effective group/meeting facilitation and presentation
- experience giving and receiving feedback
- Strong commitment to social and environmental justice
- Experience working in grassroots community organizations
- Well-organized and experience keeping a work plan
- Solid computer skills (familiar with Word, Excel, Internet, and databases)
- Self-starter, quick learner, and ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to work weeknights and weekends
- Spanish fluency preferred, but not required
Salary and Benefits: $20-30/hour depending on experience for up to one year plus an MBTA bus pass.
Please send resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ACE Hiring Team, 2201 Washington Street, Suite 302, Rear Entrance, Roxbury, MA 02119 c/o Lee Matsueda
NOTE: position open until filled
Women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.
View PDF of job description.
Frequently asked questions
Q: I've checked your website and I wanted to ask if you have any job openings?
A: We currently have one job opening and will update this page as more arise.
Q: Can I send you my resume and a cover letter so you can have it on file when jobs are available?
A: Yes, you may send us your information, but you will need to reapply for specific jobs when they become available.
Q: Are there other opportunities to become involved or do work with ACE?
Q: How can I find out when jobs are available besides continuing to refresh this page?
A: Please sign up for our email list. We send updates on our campaigns and events every month, along with available volunteer opportunities and job openings when they arise.
Q: I have more questions.
A: Please contact us if you have more questions.